Thursday, May 14, 2009



The babies have hatched! Mom looked at the cage one day and all the sudden we heard:
"Ohhhh my goodness! Lindsey get the camera! Ohhhh my goodness!"
I said: "What? what is it?"
Mom: "The babies, the Praying Mantis babies hatched. Oh my. Lindsey hurry up!" I think she was really excited, do you? :-)
There are about 150. We covered the Japanese Maple tree with a net and let the babies loose in it, that way we could find them. We tried keeping one inside, but it died, because we could not catch any fruit flies in our homemade trap. We did try giving it canned cat food because we had read somewhere that you could feed them that. It did work for awhile, but then we were gone all day and it didn't get fed, poor thing. We don't think the cat food was enough. We will try again in the future.

No comments: