Tuesday, September 2, 2008

More of the Monarchs

Sorry it took me a long time to make another post. I stayed at a friend's house for 2 nights, and then I was a bit busy. I will post about my time at my friend's house later. For now, here are pictures of my eggs, caterpillars, chrysalis, etc, and information:

Day 1 Egg 1
106_2248

I found this egg on a milkweed plant after I received the egg below from some friends of ours.
Did you know: The Monarch Butterfly lays about 400 eggs, in only a few days, but lays only 1 egg on each Milkweed plant that she finds.

Day 1 Egg 2
106_2249
This is a milkweed plant. There is a plant that looks similar to the "Milkweed", called "Dogbane", that is poisonous to the monarch caterpillar.The caterpillar will eat the "Dogbane" but only if it is desperate for food and it will kill the caterpillar.The "Dogbane" is darker green, has purple stems, is smaller in leaf size, and has more than one single stem.

106_2277

Milkweed Tiger Moth
106_2276

This moth also feeds on the milkweed plant. We discovered this caterpillar feeding on a milkweed plant we found on our property.

106_2297

We found "Goliath" on another milkweed plant in the garden, and we found "Tiny" on the same milkweed plant we found the Tiger Moth and the other egg on.

I will post more soon.
(BTW, "we" means Mom & I)


No comments: